Thursday, July 9, 2020

Darkness Drama

The following day I picked up Dad. On the way to the hospital I must have gotten a call because I told him I was trying to see if mom could come right back to him from the hospital. Once we got to the floor she was on I got another call, I directed Dad to her room and took the call. It was from the social worker at the hospital following up. I needed to call the Garden which I did.

These calls were brief and I walk faster than Dad so I arrived at the room shortly after him. Unfortunately I arrived to find him berating two hospital staff members. He was complaining about how terrible the room was, the curtains had not been opened so it was dark. He was also harassing them about mom being able to leave directly to the Garden. 

I quietly walked by him and opened the windows. I waited for him to finish and turned to the two staff members. They turned out to be physical therapists. I told them I was working on the discharge part and had just talked with the hospital's social worker. 

After they left, I got to hear a continuation of the room tirade. I'm not sure exactly what my dad didn't like about the room. Mom was in the newest wing. Unlike other sections of the hospital, the room was spacious with plenty of family seating. The walls had a mixed panel effect that reminded me of contemporary hotels I had stayed in. I think the darkness of the paneling was what he didn't like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...