Sunday, July 12, 2020

Lull

As it turned out Mom's insurance continued to pay. They paid over five weeks. But eventually I was notified and I notified the Garden. 

During this time period, my oldest interviewed for a job out of state. By the time mom got her walking papers, he knew he'd be moving late in September. 

I thought mom was still within the Garden's care ability, if anything her slightly reduced ability had made her less able to get up and fall again. But I had gotten clear warning signals over these weeks from Garden staff that Mom was not going to be an automatic return. 

I got a call from the Garden after they had assessed mom. They were not going to take her back. 

I immediately asked them to consider if they could help me by transporting Dad to see her once or twice a week and that we be given a refund for the rest of her monthly money. 

Neither of these were exactly received with open arms. On my Dad's transport I heard both that they had to check with their out of state bosses and that timing could be difficult. On the money, I could tell I had surprised them. 

Later I heard back on transport. What I heard then was couched in such a way that I knew the staff person who I would have to ask to transport Dad would never have time to do it. Further they wanted the other facility to sign off and be responsible for my dad. I also knew that wasn't happening. After all at the other facility my dad was a visitor. I saw this second request as a way to make the other facility look bad and get them off the hook of helping us. 

I called mom's rehab facility and asked they move her back to skilled nursing. This was the place I hoped she'd never end up; now she was trapped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...