Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Ongoing

Through December, January and early February, we all slowly fell into a "new normal." My mom received some speech therapy to help her speak more clearly. I visited on a regular basis. My brother and his family also visited.

Dad never had a bad word to say about the new facility after that first day. But also over this time period he seemed to decline both physically and mentally. My youngest noticed, and I verified that my Dad had been calling him by his uncle's name. I noticed that he would ask me how everyone at my house was doing instead of asking with names. 

Mom often could tell me about things she had done or if someone had visited. Dad thought he never went anywhere. I think he knew mom ate with him. 

Part of physical decline meant a switch to using a walker, and he had some physical and occupational therapy both to build strength and some safety skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...