Saturday, July 18, 2020

Mental Gymnastics

 An odd thing would occur as I worked at my parents' house. 

On some days, I would wrap up and look at how much progress I had made and although I knew I wasn't doing what I hear from others, emptying the whole house in a week, I was making progress. I was proud and happy at what was getting done. 

Other days, I would take a moment at the end of the day to walk around and make a to do list and be overwhelmed by what was yet to be done. My rational side told myself that if I continued to plug away it would happen, but I worried if it would be quick enough. 

Looking back I had great respect for my mom. The place they were living prior to this house had sold accidently and on a quick time format. They had listed the house, but it hadn't sold. So they took it off the market. A few months later a realtor approached them with an offer. One of their neighbors in a duplicate townhouse had his place listed. When her client had made an offer, his realtor couldn't reach him. Her client needed to be out of her place in a month. My parents leapt at this, and found their current house, packed and moved. 

My mom undoubtedly did the bulk of the packing. I'm sure Dad packed his books and office, but the rest of the house was all mom. She did it in way less time than I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...