Monday, July 13, 2020

Hero at the Bank

Just before my mom's full discharge I took her to her second orthopedic surgeon's return visit. It went well, but like the first surgeon he wanted a second follow up visit. He suggested he could do both the first break and the second break. I nodded. But while I made the appointment, I knew I'd rather return to the first surgeon if possible. He had a one man office which was calm, and they had waited for Dad and me to show up. The second surgeon was in a large practice, and we waited at every turn. 

After this visit, mom and I drove to their bank. Besides her own accounts, she also had custodial accounts for all her grandchildren. I had learned she needed to sign off on these. The grandchildren, all in their majority, could not access the funds themselves. (I later had a friend tell me that despite being a sedate English teacher and wife of a pastor her father did not giver her her own custodial funds until she was in her fifties.)

As I learned that day at the bank, mom had each child's money in multiple certificates of deposit, each of which must be closed and required a signature. We worked slowly through them and I am happy to say that mom did not take as long to sign as the account closing for each grandchild took. Once or twice I had to remind her to sign her own name not the child's, but she did well. It took an hour and half; I still bless the man who did that for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...