Thursday, July 2, 2020

Communications in Rehab

I had been aware over the years that the rehab folks didn't always communicate in helpful ways. The previous year, I arrived for a scheduled discharge meeting to learn that it had already been held despite my being fifteen minutes early for the scheduled time. 

In the past they had told us many things that the outpatient services would do for my parents and outpatient did not. My dad was left to figure out aids and safety equipment in their house rather than getting a social worker to help evaluate what was needed. 

 And while of none of this was done to hurt us or callously, there were issues that were caused by this disjointed communication. 

 I can only assume that the time the PT team told my parents that my dad could no longer assist Mom was the meeting I had missed. When Dad and Mom ignored that advice, no one knew. 

 I get it, my dad was there, they had a lot of things to do, so they held the meeting without me. From my interaction with the PT though I did hear both frustration and a hint of condemnation that my parents had not done what they were asked.

 A similar communication issue would occur with in home therapy. The previous year I had asked to be the first contact. While I did receive some communications from that company, I also heard about appointments I had been unaware of occurring.

 This was doubly frustrating because it was clear to me that many of the professionals working with my parents clearly thought both that I was more involved than I was and that I was the one dropping many balls.

 I tried to be clear that my roll was support of my dad and  asked repeatedly for direct communication, but it was very difficult to navigate appointments and therapy without knowing all the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...