Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Car

Once Christmas breaks were over I decide to finish up the house and figure out Dad's car. 

At some point over this time period I had come into Dad's room and found him not in the room and both his key wallet and his regular wallet left on his bedside table. After a pondering for a moment, I left his regular wallet and took the key wallet. During my emptying of his desk I had found the second key to the car. 

The car's registration expired at the end of February. I had paid insurance on it for the next quarter at the beginning of January. I decided it was time to tackle the car. Early on I had a friend of friend test drive it. She had driven a much nicer car earlier in the week so she passed on the car. I tried to start it at least once every two weeks, but it had had several slow starts in the weeks over Christmas. Given the age of the car, I assumed the battery needed replacement. 

I made an appointment with my car mechanic who specialized in this brand of car. On the day of the appointment, it wouldn't turn over. I called for a tow and then drove over after the tow truck. 

We had the car inspected and the battery replaced. I also spent a bit of money because the driver's side door no longer unlocked with the key. But the car was ready to list. 

I began by posting in on my private Facebook feed, I had plenty of interested parties and one came through. They liked the price (and I had priced it to sell) and they were fine with the scratches on one back panel. 

We met at the car registration office and the transfer paperwork went without a hitch. We drove to my parents house and off they went with Dad's car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...