Saturday, July 18, 2020

Emptying the house

By this point the house was slowly emptying of items. When their furniture moved back, I began to find folks who would want it. A friend's daughter had bought her first house so I offered her first look. She took the large four poster bed from the guest room and all the bedroom furniture my parents had used that went with the bed, the couch; she called her fiancĂ© about Dad's huge executive desk. They would take that as well. They moved everything but the desk on the first move. They need more muscle power for the desk and more space on the trailer, but it eventually left as well. 

I advertised the other pieces through a local email group and had a taker. He was working with a homeless family and took both the twin beds, a small dresser, a couple of small bookcases and end tables. 

When I got no more takers, I waited until Christmas break and the youngest and I rented a van and hauled the dining room table and some other items to goodwill. We took a second load to our house. My oldest wanted his grandmother's recliner. 

After that I called several charities with pick up services. One could come the next week. The truck driver would decide what could be taken. Thankfully, they took everything that was left. The house was nearly empty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...