Sunday, July 5, 2020

Discharge Meeting and Screen

I arrive to find my mom alone at the discharge meeting. She tells me Dad has left for lunch. When the staff person who will run the meeting arrives, she tells me she saw Dad fifteen minutes or so before I arrived and reminded him of the meeting. 

I think that he's avoiding having to hear about my mom's condition. He has claimed several times she doesn't need the level of assistance we've been told and no one has told him about this. I figure he's dodging a meeting where we hear this together. 

Thankfully he is at home when I call about his own meeting that afternoon at the Garden. We ride to the Garden and he and I have a pleasant conversation. I did not raise any of his issues in this ride. I just didn't want to go over any of it again. 

He is taken away for the screen and I turn my notebooks of forms back into the tour guide. 

She presents me with the bill for each of my parents. 

I made a small mistake in not having Dad bring his checkbook. But we can deal with that on the end of this journey. 

We go back to his house and we go in to do two things. First he's told me he is having an issue connecting to the internet and there's the check I need for the Garden. 

I am able to quickly fix his internet. It appears to me that at some point his router has been turned off. 

Next we turn to the checks he needs to write. They are big,  he looks at the amounts, and asks me in a tremulous voice, "Did I really agree to this?" I say yes. He then asks me, "Was I drinking?" I say no with a laugh and we make our way through writing the checks. His handwriting also betrays a tremor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...