Monday, July 6, 2020

Moving Day and the Things that Can Go Wrong

I had set up with the Garden that I would call them in the morning to tell them we were on our way. I wasn't entirely sure how long check out from rehab would take. 

I showed up around 830 AM to pick up my dad. I found him a bit discombobulated. Although he had another bed to sleep in, he hadn't been able to use it. The fire alarm in that room was chirping. It needed a new battery. He had gotten his six foot ladder out to deal with it but he told me it couldn't be reached. He tried to sleep on their couch, but that didn't go particularly well. 

I looked at the ladder and knew I'd be able to reach it later. But I also knew that despite my own misgivings, it was a good thing my dad was going with Mom to the Garden. He was no longer steady enough even to go up a rung or two. I was glad he decided he couldn't reach the detector. 

On the brief drive to rehab, I got a garbled call about a doctor's appointment for my mom. When I walked into rehab I immediately went to the nursing desk only to learn my mom had been taken to her orthopedic surgeon's office for a post operative check. On the way there, I vented about why I hadn't been told about this at the discharge meeting. They had the  appointment, they knew I was checking mom out on Monday. 

This provoked another of my Dad's angry moments, "Why wasn't I told about the discharge meeting?" I told him that both I and the staff had told him about the meeting. The staff had told him within the half hour just before the meeting. He insisted they hadn't told him and they were lying. At this point I had about enough of him pretending he didn't hear about things. I told him that if I had to choose between the rehab staff and him, he would not be my choice in this situation. 

I'm happy to say that after this nothing else happened. 

The doctor's office was very accommodating. They had taken my mom's x-rays, but waited for us to show before going over the results.

We returned to rehab gathered mom's few things and her discharge papers for the Garden and were off. 

In the midst of this, I realized that neither of them had many clothes. I had some for mom that I had gotten on Sunday, but Dad had left his house without anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...