Thursday, July 9, 2020

Surgery

I know I went alone the following morning. I'm pretty sure I had arranged for my son to pick up his grandfather later that morning and that my brother would drive over from where he lived.

At this point my oldest had gotten home from his summer internship so I suspect he was my driver for Dad. I also think I took my Dad back to the Garden at the end of the day. 

Mom was taken down to surgery earlier than expected, and I walked down with her. 

I had a surreal discussion with the anesthesiologist at this point. Mom had a long standing Do Not Resuscitate order in place. He told me that they had to put those aside during surgery, but wanted to know if her heart stopped what should they do. Did my dad get asked this last time she had surgery? He suggested if she was his mom that he would not want her restarted. She is chirping at me that she doesn't want to die that day. I, sigh, and diplomatically, with her in the room, tell him that maybe try once but not hard. 

Let me point out, that this came at me unexpectedly. I had always made sure the hospital and other facilities had the DNR order. For the future and for others, I suggest asking the doctor to step out of the room for these discussions. 

My dad and brother arrive in time to talk with her prior to surgery. 

Then what seemed to be a miracle occurs in the waiting room. My dad started telling my brother and me that we should try to convince mom to return to the Garden. It was a good place, we might have to overcome her, but she would like it there. 

I thought at the time the fall and him seeing it might have finally gotten through to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...