Thursday, July 9, 2020

Lost

The following day I picked up Dad around 9 AM to take him to the hospital.

The miracle from the day before had not held. He immediately told me he wanted to go home. When I asked about mom, he told me she could stay at the facility but he was not going to stay. 

I told him I was disappointed that he had not stuck by what he had said the day before and that he wasn't willing to stay with mom. 

We spent the rest of a twenty minute ride in silence. And honestly I was done with this back and forth and what felt like to me selfishness on his part.

So when we arrived at the hospital, instead of parking in the garage, I pulled up to the drop off, I reminded him of the room number in which mom was staying, and told him to call me when he was ready to leave. He didn't seem surprised, maybe he was tired too. 

On previous visits at the hospital and rehab my dad would often visit Mom twice a day, morning and afternoon, but rarely did a visit go longer than two hours, often less. Usually when her lunch arrived, he'd leave. I even thought he might call in time to return for lunch at the Garden. 

Around 1 PM, I was sitting at home with my oldest and I wondered why I hadn't gotten a call. He volunteered to call his grandfather for me. Cell phone did not pick up. So he called their house number, sure enough Grandpa answered. My oldest had a brief conversation with his grandfather and asked if he could come get him?

When he got back he told me, his grandfather wasn't sure where their furniture was, but he did tell my son to take him back to the Garden.

Mostly as I relate events here, I am trying to not get too far ahead in my story because hindsight makes the story clearer, but hindsight is not something you have in the midst. However, I did eventually figure out how my Dad got to his house from the hospital. 

My husband speculated that evening that my dad had a stash of cash that he was trying to get. At some point in the next few days I did discover another credit card left on the top of my mom's dresser. It had not been there before Dad's visit.  The following month I got a bill from that card and my dad had paid $28 to a taxi with it. I have often wondered what would have happened if he had not had enough cash to pay or found this card.

When I finally began to go through their things I also found an envelope with over $1000 in cash in his bedside table. So my husband had been right there was a stash, but Dad did not take it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...