Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Legal Arrangements

In the following weeks I had several legalities to deal with. 

The first was the house sale. It was delayed until I had the death certificates, but the following week, I showed up at the attorney's office and we closed the house. 

I dealt with their bank, and I still, at the point of this writing need to go in person with the death certificate. But because all their accounts were in joint, there was not much to be done there, and initially I had hoped Corona would pass quickly and then I'd go into the bank. 

I also notified his annuity and various health insurance companies. 

Oddly, in the fall I had feared having to deal with the Social Security administration, but in one phone call and some paperwork mailed to me, we dealt fairly quickly with the issues that needed to be handled. My mom was his listed survivor and she had direct deposit so they simply started putting her widow's share into her account. I was signed up as her "payee" since social security doesn't take power of attorneys. I had to get the doctor where she was to sign that she couldn't handle her financial affairs. 

My Dad was a champion and had a written obituary ready to roll. My brother lightly edited it including the newly named virus that honored Dad. The crematory put that up on their website and I sent it to the three universities he had been associated with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...