Sunday, July 12, 2020

Alexa Saves the Day

Over these first weeks of yet another transition, I called Alexa and asked her to begin to look for another place that had both assisted and skilled nursing where my parents could stay. I understood they might not be in the same room, but the same roof would be helpful. 

Alexa told me she would reach out to various facilities, but she warned me this was a more difficult find. Most facilities that had both assisted and skilled nursing were part of continuum of care facilities that only admitted people with large up front deposits and mostly in the independent phase of their life. 

While we had one hopeful interview, when the other facility learned my dad's mental health score they got nervous about his ability to go to my mom's room without wandering outside.

The fabulous thing that happened during this time period was that I shared with Alexa that I had not yet applied for the long term health care for my mom because my Power of Attorney was so useless. Alexa told me that she did not advertise this, but she was a notary and she'd be happy to notarize new POAs for me. 

The week following my son's move, we met at each of my parent's facilities and did this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...