Monday, July 6, 2020

More TB testing

On Friday, I had brought the Garden the checks for the first month and picked up a key to their room. the plan was to move their furniture into the room on Saturday and then show mom the room as agreed on Sunday. 

Saturday morning I picked up my Dad around 9 AM to take him for his TB test verification.

We went back to the first drug store we went to. They could read the test. Unfortunately the technician decide she needed to do a full intake on my Dad. I got called in because she asked him about his heart by-pass surgery, he didn't remember having it or didn't understand the term she used. In the midst of this her computer locked up and she wouldn't let us go until she fixed it. This took at least an hour. As expected his test was positive and now I had to find a place that could give him an x-ray. 

We drove there and I could tell that Dad was not happy. I didn't probe because I didn't want to know. We were checked in and were second in line. Unfortunately it was at least a half an hour wait. We were then asked to wait another half an hour for the x-ray to be read. My dad asked to sit in the car. When more than that time passed he came back in. By then he was exasperated. He wanted to go see mom. Why were we here? I approached the desk. It probably took another ten to fifteen minutes to find out that our x-ray had just been put in line to be read. We'd be next but more waiting. Given Dad's state I asked if I could come back later to pick up the report. Yes. 

I apologized to Dad, by now it was almost noon. I told him I had had no idea this piece would take so long, and be so unproductive. 

I asked if he wanted to stop and pick up lunch. No, thundered back, he wanted to go see mom. When we got to their house, I told him we'd be back later to pick up furniture. My husband and youngest son were getting the truck. 

Let me admit I made a mistake here. I should have probably dealt with this the night before. At the least we could have been the first in at the urgent care place that read TB tests. And looking back I should have taken him to urgent care first, they could have read the test and done the x-ray. Even worse way back on Wednesday, I  should have had him tested in the afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...