Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Call

The previous summer and fall when I began to have concerns about my Dad, I did not voice them to my brother. I knew that my brother wouldn't be likely to see what I did. I knew that Dad was very good talking about his subjects: the Civil War, military strategy, the Holy Roman Empire. He'd also talk your ear off about politics (he made less sense there). 

My family knew my concerns. One of my sons noticed that his grandfather had made mistakes while we played a game of Euchre. My dad was a pretty good player so this was a surprise to my son. 

When my brother called on the following Thursday, while I was still on vacation, he surprised me. 

He told me he had noticed some issues with Dad. I agreed that I'd seen some as well. 

He did not want Dad to drive any more and he thought either they must both go to a facility together or have 24/7 help. 

He and I were both aware that Mom and Dad had long term healthcare policies. Ideally the policy would pay for two years of in  home care and two years in a facility. 

I told him when I got back I would begin to work on this. I did bargain for Dad to continue to drive for the next few weeks while I sorted things out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...