Thursday, July 16, 2020

Changes

Late in October, Alexa had suggested another nursing home mainly because it was on the same side of town as the Garden. At this point I wasn't sure. When I mapped out the distances it didn't help much in terms of my circular pattern. But over that weekend I visited their website and noticed they mentioned assisted living as well. I called Alexa on Monday and sure enough my Dad could go as well. 

I visited later that week. What I found was something between where mom was and the Garden. Mom's area had similar smallish double rooms, but each hall had its own smaller dining room and I didn't see as many patients who seemed to be warehoused in the area around the nurse's desk compared to where she was currently. I'm not sure I would have made the change just for her. 

On the assisted side, Dad's room was much smaller. It was probably the size of his bedroom at the Garden, but he had his own bathroom. It was quiet. 

In talking with the tour guide, she told me that they would be happy to work with this unique situation and that mom could be brought for meals with Dad or he could join her group. 

Further unlike the Garden my tour guide seemed like a sweet concerned young lady who didn't try to razzle dazzle me with amenities or introduce me to long serving staff as the Garden tour had. She even told me that if we needed to seek Medicaid assistance they could help with that. I remembered that at the Garden, the only time that came up, I could sense that the tour guide didn't want to talk about their policy.

Finally there was cost. Once my mom was removed from the Garden officially our cost did go down by her care cost and the additional person fee. But this left Dad's cost at $6150. As a contrast I was paying $6900 for my mom's much higher level of care. My dad's first month at the new place was $4200, even my mom's cost went down by about $200. 

I decided to move forward with this and wrote deposits for both my parents. 

It was close to the end of the month, I would move mom on the first. The garden had a two week notification period. This new place was willing to wait with an empty room for that period. So I planned to move Dad a week after mom. I would bring him for a visit in the middle of that week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...