Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Day One 06302019

Around dinner, I got the call. I've gotten it before. My mom had fallen my dad tells me. The paramedics thought she had a break. Dad didn't agree, but he let them take her. Or maybe she asked to be taken, it wasn't clear.

I told Dad I would be on my way to the hospital. I would see him there. Nope, he wasn't going. It was going to be dark soon, he didn't want to drive. I went back and forth briefly about why he hadn't ridden with the paramedics, but he wasn't budging.

So off I went, my mom is 88, she has dementia; it didn't seem wise to leave her in the emergency room alone.

Once there, she was happy to see me, the nurse was puzzled because she'd refused pain meds. She had been a nurse herself and in my estimation had a high pain threshold. If she said she wasn't in pain, we'd accept that. But she did have a break and she'd need surgery to put it right.

I waited until she got in a room and I'd seen the night nurses. Called dad on the way home. He seemed puzzled by it all. I told him I'd pick up the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...