Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Hospital and Rehab Transfer

The hospital visit and surgery went about as expected. The surgeon was pleased with his work and we began to think about discharge. 

Because of the fourth of July on Thursday, Mom would be discharged on Friday. 

She and Dad had both used the same nursing rehabilitation home. Dad had been once to recover from a ruptured intestine. Mom would be on her fourth visit. Her first visit was the one in which she learned to use the walker, once for her heart failure incident, and the previous year for her mini-stroke recovery. It was close to their home and friends lived in the area. On her first visit she had several visitors. As they aged though those visitors disappeared; I guessed due to death or their own infirmities. 

The one curve ball for me was my family had a beach vacation booked to begin on Saturday. 

Fortunately my brother was willing to come and stay several days with Dad. I hoped he'd be there for the first meeting where the staff would explain what they planned to do. 

On my parent's previous visits they were discharged on the 21st day. This is all that Medicare will pay without a copay. While we had been told at the beginning of each visit they might stay after that for a $50 a day copay, their insurance had never been willing to do that. 

So I expected that in three weeks my mom would be released.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources

Dementia early signs:   https://www.alz.org/media/Documents/alzheimers-dementia-10-signs-worksheet.pdf Dementia and finances:  Money trouble...